Monday, October 21, 2013

"Go Slow Because I'm Not Coming Back"

Last Friday morning I got up very early and hiked to Scout's Landing in Zion National Park with four other women.



The Scout's Landing hike is an approximate 1000 foot climb spread out over a bit less than two miles. The October morning was magnificent and the views breathtaking as the five of us huffed and puffed our way up dozens of switchbacks, including the 21 famed "Walter's Wiggles."


Eventually we crested the last incline and found ourselves with a spectacular view of the peaks towering above, the canyon walls embracing us, and the sparkling Virgin River snaking its way among yellow aspen and Ponderosa Pine in the valley below. There we lingered as any number of fast and fit hikers clambered past us on their way to Angel's Landing--a treacherous climb requiring nerves of steel and the footwork of a mountain goat to avoid certain death from a sheer drop of 1400 feet. (According to a sign posted on the trail six people have died trying to reach Angel's Landing since 2004. None of us wanted to be the next.)


Our descent from Scout's Landing validated our decision to rise early and hit the trail in the early morning hours as we were met by throngs of hikers on their way up, eager to reach to the top.

Eventually, we reached the valley floor and climbed into our car. How we would have liked to linger, but it was time to move on. It was as we drove out of the park, windows down, drinking in the autumn air that I heard Ellen say, "Drive slow because I'm not coming back."


I'm not sure why she said it. Perhaps Ellen has other adventures on her bucket list. Maybe she knows this opportunity will not come around again. Whatever the reason, I think Ellen's words are a profound reminder to us all to slow down. Many of us, myself included, are goal-oriented, project-driven people. This behavior has its place, but too much emphasis on achievement and accomplishment and we miss the view, the experience, the wonder of it all.


How I wish I could say to the young couple in the throes of early love, "Drive slow because you're not coming back." How I would like to remind mothers of sticky-faced toddlers, "Drive slow, because you're not coming back." How I would like to encourage parents of pushing-the-limits, messy-roomed teens, "Drive slow because you're not coming back."

Maybe our day-to-day scenery doesn't appear to be as sensational as Zion National Park, but I can tell you from personal experience, Zion is full of rocks, desert terrain and cactus.


It can be an uncomfortable place to be. A lot depends on where you look and the time you take to inspect and experience what you see. I think that's a lot like life, which is why I'm going to do my best to remember Ellen's imperative, "Drive slow, because I'm not coming back."


Thinking thankfully of Ellen and doing my best to slow down,
Dr. Jennifer Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment